Each May the Travel Channel TV announces its choices for America's Best Beaches.
This year's list includes a number of first time picks. Three states, California, Florida and Hawaii, have two beaches on the list. The Travel Channel's pick for America's Best Beach for 2003 is Poipu Beach, located on the island of Kauai, Hawaii.
Poipu Beach - "America's Best Beach"This year's number one beach in America is located on the south shore of the Garden Isle of Kauai. The Travel Channel sited Poipu for its unspoiled beauty, sandy bottom lagoon, sunsets, warm people, and superb weather. It's setting, safety, climate, creature comforts, and list of unending activities made it a clear choice for this year's number one pick.
As described by the Poipu Beach Resort Association, "This beach is a series of golden sand crescents, strung together where beach-goers will find snorkeling, swimming, wading and surfing. Palm trees dominate the coastline here with an expansive lawn at the park. The surf spots are slightly off-shore where a reef establishes perfect wave-breaks for beginner, intermediate and advanced surfers. Nearer to the shore, swimmers scan enjoy swimming in calm waters or snorkeling near a couple of interesting rocky points."
The Remainder of the List
- 2. South Beach, Miami, Florida - "Best Beautiful People Beach"
- 3. Trunk Bay, Island of St. John, U.S. Virgin Islands - "Best Romantic Beach"
- 4. Coronado Beach California - "Best Weekend Getaway Beach"
- 5. Shi Shi Beach, Washington - "Best Nature Beach"
- 6. Moshup Beach, Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts - "Best Walking Beach"
- 7. Wailea Beach, Maui, Hawaii - "Best Beach for Pampering"
- 8. Myrtle Beach, South Carolina - "Best Family Beach"
- 9. Hermosa Beach, California - "Best Beach Town"
- 10. Siesta Beach, Florida - "Best Sand Beach"