The Bottom Line
This book is a must read before you visit the volcanoes in Hawaii.
- Superb illustrations
- Concise, affordable and informative
- Expanded edition now available
- Written and illustrated by Herb Kawainui Kane who has been elected a "Living Treasure of Hawaii."
- 71 pages with over 20 color illustrations.
- A perfect introduction to Hawaiian mythology and the volcano goddess Pele.
Guide Review - Pele: Goddess of Hawai`i's Volcanoes
Artist and historian, Herb Kawainui Kane has assembled a spectacular collection of myths, legends, romances, traditions and folktales of Pele, the Hawaiian Fire Goddess. This small, (71 page) book should be read by anyone who intends to visit the Big Island of Hawaii, the home of Pele. The book explores the roots of Hawaiian volcano mythology and the various gods and goddesses associated with this dominant aspect of Hawaiian culture. Kane has been elected a "Living Treasure of Hawaii". He resides in rural South Kona, on the Big Island of Hawaii. His art has been featured in numerous books and publications as well as on stamps for the U.S. Postal Service. He is also the author of "Ancient Hawaii", a comprehensive story of the people of Hawaii.