Breakfast was nothing to write home about. If you are looking for a Bed & Breakfast where you will be served homemade omelets and Belgian waffles you are coming to the wrong place. The outside table (It so rarely rains that breakfast is always outside.) was set up with fresh pastries which Bill Mosley picks up each morning and fresh fruit - mango and papaya. There are also juices, tea and coffee. We served ourselves. I was very happy with the breakfast. I wouldn't have wanted or needed more, but that is something to keep in mind.
Breakfast is a great time to talk to the other people who are staying at the Bed & Breakfast. You can find out where they have been and where to go - or not to go. Bill, of course, is a wealth of information and will tell you everything you need to know and more.
Breakfast is served from 8:30am to 10:00am every morning, except Sunday.
Where is the closest beach?
There are certainly many beaches in Maui and we visited a lot but if you are not really a beach lover a 3-minute walk will take you to Wahikula Wayside Park. You can walk another 10 minutes to Lahaina Harbor or 20 minutes to the beautiful beaches of Kaanapali. Garden Gate is an 11-minute walk to a black sand-swimming beach, which is 300 yards long.
- Parking: There is plenty of parking in the front of the house. We never came home at night and couldn't find a spot to park.
- The Mosley's prefer a minimum stay of 3 nights, but they are flexible.
- Check in is at 2:00pm and check out is at 11:00am. The owners are flexible about this also.
- In an area downstairs there was a washing machine and dryer to use for free. Detergent is provided.
- There is a large refrigerator in this same area. Off of this area is a large room with just about anything you many need during your stay, including insect spray.
- There are bikes and boogie boards. Every day we borrowed chairs and mats. This was all available at no charge. We also borrowed coolers. There is a barbecue for use. VCRs are available on request.
- Smoking is not allowed in the rooms but you can smoke on the deck or in the garden area.
In summary:There are many areas on Maui in which to stay. We loved being in Lahaina. There was a lot to do and we were never bored. We enjoyed Garden Gate very much. If you don't mind the lack of housekeeping and the continental breakfast rather than a gourmet one, you may want to look into staying here.
The most expensive suite is $125 a night. There is no pool and there are no amenities. What you do get is personal attention and if you want help making reservations for a special dinner or luau you will get it. As I said, this is a no-frills Bed & Breakfast.