The Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii is a AAA Four Diamond Resort on 32 acres of oceanfront property on the pristine Kohala Coast of Hawaii's Big Island within the 3200-acre Mauna Lani Resort. The hotel features magnificent views of the Pacific Ocean and the island's five mountains including Mauna Kea, the world's tallest mountain when measured from its base on the sea floor.
History of the Hotel and Resort:
The Fairmont Orchid is one of the two resort hotels located within the 3000+-acre Mauna Lani Resort on the Kohala Coast of Hawaii's Big Island, the other being the Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows
The Fairmont Orchid opened in December 1990 as a Ritz Carlton and was later managed by Starwood Hotels & Resorts from 1995-2003 when it was known as The Orchid at Mauna Lani. Since December 2003 the property has been managed by Fairmont Hotels & Resorts and known as The Fairmont Orchid.
First settled over 800 years ago, the resort area is marked by numerous archaeological sites, early Hawaiian footpaths, royal fishponds and lava formations. Trails through the resort reveal shelter caves, burial sites and petroglyphs. Over 300 years ago Hawaiians lived in a small fishing village and called this area of the Big Island by the Hawaiian name Kalahuipua'a which literally meant "the gathering place or nation of pigs."
Ownership of the area passed down within Hawaiian royalty and the heirs of Kamehameha I until 1881, when Samuel Parker, the grandson of the founder of Parker Ranch, John Palmer Parker purchased the land at a public auction for $1,500.
In 1936, Francis Hyde I'i Brown, a Hawaiian statesman and athlete, purchased the land for a beach home and restored the fish ponds, built roads and retaining walls and planted many of the of the resort's palm trees.
In 1972, Brown sold the land to the Tokyu Corporation of Japan, whose chairman, Noboru Gotah he had met at the 1964 Tokyo Olympics. The two became good friends and they made plans for the development of a resort which, after consulting with Hawaiian elders, they decided to name the Mauna Lani (mountains reaching heaven) Resort at Kalahuipua'a in honor of the five mountains which tower over the island of Hawaii and yet still preserving the locations original name.
Francis Hyde I'i Brown's heir, Kenneth Brown, remains chairman of Mauna Lani Resort Inc. and the resort's two championship golf courses are named the Francis H. I‘i Brown North and South.
The Fairmont Orchid, Hawai‘i
One North Kaniku Drive
Kohala Coast, HI 96743
Fairmont Hotels & Resorts Inc.
General Manager - Ian Pullan (May 1, 2005)
December 15, 1990
The 540-room AAA Four Diamond luxury destination resort is situated on 32 oceanfront acres on the Big Island's Kohala Coast. It is comprised of two, six-story wings, surrounded by open courtyards, lush gardens and a protected ocean cove.
Guest facilities include five restaurants, two cocktail lounges, heated swimming pool, the Hawaiian-inspired Spa Without Walls, fully equipped fitness center, business services center and a Fairmont Gold Floor with exclusive key-access concierge level "hotel within a hotel." There are also local daily beach and cultural activities, golf, tennis and water sports, year-round children's program, and expansive indoor/outdoor meeting facilities
The resort's 540 rooms includes 54 suites each with a private lanai, consisting of 324 king beds and 214 with two queen beds doubles. There are two Presidential suites, 20 ocean front suites and 32 executive suites, and an exclusive Fairmont Gold Floor.
Complete guest room rejuvenation was completed December 2007. All rooms/suites offer views of the ocean, mountain or lush tropical gardens and feature the following amenities:
- Daily room attendant service and turn-down service upon request
- Marble bathrooms with separate shower, enclosed water closet, double vanity and telephone
- Elegant furnishings, wood trim, island-inspired colors, artwork, upholstery and furniture
- Private, spacious lanai and outdoor furniture for each guestroom
- Wireless Internet access, 3 telephones & voice mail
- Miller Harris bathroom products i.e., Fragrant Body Lotions, Soaps, Shampoos, Conditioners
- Quercus Penhaligon products (shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, lotion) in the suites
- Color TV with LodgeNet, on-demand movies, Web TV, video games and express check-out
- Light cotton logo waffle robes, slippers, in-room safe and cool box, iron and ironing board
- Luxurious bathroom essentials, hair dryer and magnifying mirror, bath scale
The Fairmont Orchid offers all of the guest services that you would expect at one of Hawaii's top resorts including:
- Extensive meeting facilities with 31,000 square feet of indoor function space (18 rooms) and nearly 76,000 of outdoor venue square footage with year-round weather conditions.
- Business Services Center with office services, equipment rental, shipping.
- Complete audio-visual services and equipment on site servicing meeting clients and individuals
- Salon with full service hair/nails/skin pampering treatments for men and women
- Concierge staff to arrange dinner reservations, event tickets, activities, car rentals and more.
- Babysitting services with bonded staff may be arranged with 24-hour's notice through the Concierge.
- Laundry services available daily except for holidays.
- Parking is available at the hotel. Self parking is $17 USD per night and valet parking is $22 USD per night with unlimited access.
- Complimentary on-demand 24-hour shuttle service within Mauna Lani Resort.
The Fairmont Orchid's Spa Without Walls is true to its name nestled amid verdant waterfall, bordering the oceanfront shoreline and providing a healing retreat in a natural therapeutic environment with ancient healing arts infused into every treatment.
Spa Without Walls has been voted "Tops for Treatments" by readers of Condé Nast Traveler magazine and most recently among Travel+Leisure Magazine's "Top 10 Best Hotel Spas in Hawaii." The spa offers:
- 10 outdoor waterfall massage hale (huts)
- 5 private oceanfront massage cabanas
- 3 indoor treatment rooms
- Separate locker/steam/sauna rooms for ladies and gentlemen
- Resting room with herbal teas, and a wide selection of spa amenities
The resort offers a 1,708-square foot fully equipped Fitness Center with cardio and weight-training equipment. The Fitness Center is open 24 hours a day with guestroom key access and no additional fees.
The resort also offers a variety of fitness and relaxation classes such as daily seaside yoga, meditation, vision fitness, aqua fitness and cultural hikes.
The Fairmont Orchid offers numerous recreational activities which are sure to keep you and your family pleasantly occupied during your stay:
- 10,000-square-foot free-form heated swimming pool, open 24 hours
- Two lava-enhanced whirlpools, open 24 hours
- Tranquil Swimming Lagoon—Protected from the open-ocean waters of the Pacific by lava rock jetties. The resort's soft white sand beach and aquamarine warm waters make it the perfect spot for small children or anyone else unfamiliar or uncomfortable with the ocean. Just beyond the jetties is pristine Pauoa Bay, and a remarkable coral reef ecosystem sure to enchant beginner and advanced snorkelers alike.
- Orchid Beachboys provide daily Hawaiian cultural activities and water sports including outrigger canoe rides, net throwing, star gazing, historic hikes, Hawaiian lore, more.
- Ocean activities -- snorkeling, scuba, kayaking, optional Activity Packages let you choose.
- Seaside Yoga, Meditation, Vision Fitness, Hawaiian Arts & Crafts, Water Rhythmics. . .more
- 10-court Tennis Pavilion with full service pro shop, clinics and tournaments
- Basketball and sand volleyball courts, scenic walking/jogging trails
- Golf -- two 18-hole resort golf courses by Francis H. I‘i Brown
- Year-round "Keiki Aloha Program" for children ages 5-12. Full day and half day programs are available. Activites include Hawaiian games, gecko hunts, crafts, sand castles and more.
The following shops are located at the hotel:
- The Fairmont Store Logo Shop
- Island Sunsations (resort wear and accessories)
- The Pro Shop
- Spa Without Walls Retail Shop
- The Orchid Beach Club
- Orchid Jewelers
- Lamont's Gift and Sundry Shop
- The Spa Without Walls Salon
Island Breeze Productions presents Gathering of the Kings - The Journey each Saturday evening. This contemporary theatrical presentation dramatically retells the ancient peoples' discovery of the Pacific Islands (Samoa, New Zealand, Tahiti and Hawaii) through a fusion of traditional Polynesian and modern dance choreography, island rhythms, synchronized lighting and edgy set design.
Complemented by a bountiful feast prepared by The Fairmont Orchid chefs, audiences delight in a memorable evening offered under the stars at the resort's Plantation Estate. The Plantation Estate is a short walk from the Lobby and parking amidst towering palm trees with family-style seating and easy viewing of the raised earthen stage.
Price: $99 adults, $65 children ages 6-12, 5 and under are complimentary.
Restaurants and Lounges:
The Resort has five restaurants and two bars. Children under five eat free in all restaurants when dining with a parent. In addition, in-room dining is available daily from 6:00 a.m. to midnight.
- Brown's Beach House - Known for its romantic ocean views and incomparable island-inspired cuisine, Brown's Beach House has earned two Hale 'Aina awards for Top Big Island Restaurant by readers of the state's Honolulu Magazine. Drawing upon the diversity of resources available from the surrounding Pacific ocean and fertile valleys, Brown's features fresh Hawaiian fish and the finest locally grown produce and herbs in its seasonal offerings. Spacious seating and attentive service. Evening dining with live entertainment by Hawaiian guitar soloist Nino Tuesday through Saturday evenings.
- Norio's Japanese Restaurant & Sushi Bar - Master Sushi Chef Norio Yamamoto selects premium-grade seafood flown in from Japan five times a week to create his Japanese delicacies enhanced by fine saké, Japanese beer and much more. Located near The Orchid Court restaurant on the Garden Level beneath the Lobby, with a new custom-made 14-seat sushi bar, main dining area and private dining room overlooking a serene koi pond.
- Hale Kai Restaurant - The poolside Hale Kai Restaurant is a family friendly restaurant, just steps from the pool, offering a broad menu of lunch and dinner favorites that complement an elaborate cocktail menu. Families are right at home here.
- Brown's Deli - Open all day, this quick option features delicatessen favorites with island flair plus made-to-order specialties such as panini, pizza, a wide array of beverages, breakfast items and more.
- Orchid Court - The Orchid Court is an al fresco venue nestled within tropical gardens and waterfall. They offer a breakfast buffet as well as à la carte items.
- The Luana Lounge - The Luana Lounge, near the main lobby, is the perfect place to spend a leisurely afternoon or evening with your favorite tropical drink and pupus (appetizers. With its comfortable furnishings surrounded by local Big Island art it's a great place to enjoy sunset.
- Kahakai (Beach) Bar - The informal and open-air Kahakai (Beach) Bar (Cocktails/Pupu Seaside) is aptly named for its on-the-beach setting complete with thatched roof, refreshing trade winds and breathtaking views.