Located about 22 miles south of Kailua-Kona off of Highway 11 on Highway 160, Pu'uhonua O Honaunau National Historical Park preserves the site where, up until the early 19th century, Hawaiians who broke a kapu (one of the ancient laws against the gods) could flee and avoid certain death.
The 182-acre park has two major sections, the Palace Grounds, once the home of the ruling chief, and the Pu'uhonua O Honaunau, the Place of Refuge. Separating the two areas of the park is the Great Wall. Despite it's overall size, the major sites are easily traversed on foot.
The park includes a number of additional archaeological sites including temple platforms, royal fishponds, and the site of a coastal village. Utilizing many local artists and artisans with authentic and traditional tools, the National Park Service has worked very hard to restore the site to its appearance in the late 1700's.
Related Feature About Pu'uhonua O Honaunau National Historical Park
Pu'uhonua O Honaunau National Historical Park
(City of Refuge)
P.O. Box 129
Honaunau, HI 96726
National Park Service website