The Bottom Line
- Clear, concise descriptions of each hike, snorkel or surf location.
- Includes Information for Bikers and Kayakers
- Detailed information on parking for each location.
- Excellent and extensive photos.
- Good 33 page section of supplemental Information.
- More detailed maps would be helpful.
- No mention of About.com in the "Surfin' da Web" section.
- 119 hikes and strolls to mountain ridges, tropical gardens, beaches, jungles, coves and much more.
- Information on 68 beaches, including 22 reachable only by trail.
- Covers 42 snorkeling pools, both the island's favorites and hidden coves.
- Covers 61 mountain bike rides along forest, coastal and countryside trails.
- Information on 27 kayaking places: 13 rivers adn streams as well as 14 bays and lagoons.
- Covers 36 great surfing spots
- 10 maps and 175 photographs
- A Trailblazer Kids section for family attractions, picnic spots, swimming beaches and easy hikes.
- Handpicked resort recommendations, choice rustic accommodations, and selected restaurants.
- A Resource Links secrion with visitor information, public agencies, campgrounds, and more.
Guide Review - Kauai Trailblazer - Where to Hike, Snorkel, Bike, Paddle, Surf
Jerry and Janine Sprout are the definitive experts in hiking in Hawaii. Their books are essential "books to pack" when planning a trip to Hawaii.
So much of the beauty of Hawaii must be seen on foot by exploring the numerous ancient sites, beaches, botanical gardens, rainforests, ridgetops, valleys, and waterfalls of each island. As a bonus, the authors give their suggestions for four comprehensive driving tours to give readers a good overview of the island of Kauai.
As the authors indicate many folks who want to get away from their resort but get frustrated not knowing where to go or what to do. This book provides help in planning those adventures away from the comfortable confines of your hotel, resort or condominium rental.
This 256 page book is an amazingly easy read. The reader is able to use the tips provided by the authors to select the hikes, snorkel or surf locations that are right for them considering their age, health and willingness to be truly adventurous.
So, on your next trip to Kauai, pack your backpack, hiking stick, camera and above all else your copy of Kauai Trailblazer and you're all set to discover the Hawaii that many visitors never get so see.