On Kauai there's only one place where you can ride an historic train, hike through a rainforest and orchard, taste Kauai's only island-made rum, shop, dine at one of Kauai's top restaurants and finally enjoy one of the island's best luaus. That place is Kilohana Plantation.
Kilohana Plantation is located just one mile out of the town of Lihue next to Kauai Community College on Highway 50 heading towards Po'ipu.
Kilohana Plantation is rooted in Kauai's long history of agriculture. The centerpiece of Kilohana Plantation is the historic Gaylord Wilcox mansion built in 1935 by Gaylord Parke Wilcox and his wife Ethel. Gaylord was the descendant of Abner Wilcox of Connecticut, one of Hawaii's first missionaries, and at the time manager of Grove Farm Plantation, one of Hawaii's long-time sugar plantations.
The 16,000 square foot Tudor style home was designed by Hawaii architect Mark Potter and is now home to the 22° North restaurant (formerly Gaylord's at Kilohana) as well as several shops offering fine art, crafts and collectibles from Hawaii. The home is surrounded by the estate's original 36 acres (now expanded to 105 acres) consisting of formal grounds, flower and vegetable gardens and orchards as well as pastures for grazing of livestock. The estate was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1974 and was named a State of Hawaii Historic Landmark in 1993.
Severely damaged by Hurricane Iwa in 1983, the home has been completely restored and today the original public spaces are filled with notable Hawaiian antiques, paintings, and carpet all reflecting the lifestyle of of the Wilcox family.
The grounds surrounding the home are home to the Kauai Plantation Railway, the Koloa Rum Company Tasting Room and Company Store, and the Luau Kalamaku, one of Kauai's newest and most innovative luaus.
Let's begin our tour at the Gaylord Wilcox mansion and the 22° North restaurant.