A Profile of the Four Seasons Resort Lanai at Manele Bay:
Built by Castle & Cooke, and opened in 1991, the Four Seasons Resort Lana'i at Manele Bay, is one of the two luxury resorts on the island of Lana'i.
In 2005, following complete room renovations and updates for re-branding, Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts assumed management of the resort.
The Four Seasons Resort Lana'i at Manele Bay has received numerous awards and accolades. In 2010 they have been named as one of the World's Best Places to Stay by Conde Nast Traveler and one of the 500 world's best hotels by Travel & Leisure. They are a AAA Four Diamond and Forbes Four Star resort.
During my June 2010 stay at their sister property, the Four Seasons Resort Lana'i, The Lodge at Koele, I had the opportunity to spend parts of two days at the Four Seasons Resort Lana'i at Manele Bay, where I explored the property, ate two meals, had a spa treatment, and took the photos in the large photo gallery referenced in this profile feature.
Since I did not stay at the Resort, I am not formally reviewing the property, however, based on my time at the resort, I have little doubt that I would give the resort a five-star rating.
Let's take a closer look at what you'll find at the Four Seasons Resort Lanai at Manele Bay.
Four Seasons Resort Lana'i at Manele Bay
One Manele Bay Road
P.O. Box 631380
Lana'i City, HI, U.S.A. 96763
Guest fax: 808-565-2483
Room reservations: 800-321-4666
Castle & Cooke, Inc.
Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts
General Manager - Tom Roelens
First Opened - May 1991
Current hotel management - October 2005
Architect - Arnold Savrann
Interior Designer(s) - Pacific Asia Design Group
The 236-room, 1-million square-foot resort overlooks the protected marine preserve of Hulopo'e Bay and neighboring islands Maui, Molokai and Kaho'olawe. The four-story cliff-side resort is decorated with Asian influences and Mediterranean accents and features numerous hand-painted murals, silk fabrics, colorful furnishings and original art and artifacts throughout.
Guest facilities include two on-site restaurants, one cocktail lounge, pool bar, pool, tennis courts, spa and fitness room.
The resort's 215 luxurious guest rooms and 21 suites evoke a relaxed island feel, while up-to-the-minute technology includes LCD television sets and high- speed Internet access. Most rooms overlook the Hulopo'e Bay and the Pacific Ocean, while some overlook the resort's lushly landscaped gardens.
Averaging 700 square-feet, all rooms have a comfortably furnished, private lanai — a terrace or balcony. Spacious bathrooms offer typical Four Seasons amenities: a marble double-basin vanity, deep soaking tub and separate glass-enclosed shower stall.
Decor reflects a tropical theme in warm golden tones, enhanced by rich cherry and rattan furnishings. A custom two-poster headboard features a hand-carved pineapple motif, the welcoming symbol of Lana'i.
All guest rooms at Four Seasons Resort Lana'i at Manele Bay offer the following amenities:
- Living area featuring an entertaimnent center with 40-inch (101-centimeter) flat-screen LCD television and DVD/CD player, a rattan writing desk, private bar, coffee maker, in-room safe, dual-line telephone and high-speed wireless Internet access
- Signature Four Seasons bed with down duvet and pillows
- Full marble bathroom, including a lavish double vanity, deep soaking tub and separate walk-in shower
- Twice-daily housekeeping service with evening ice delivery
- Complimentary daily newspaper
- Complimentary overnight shoeshine
- Multi-line telephone with speaker phone, conference call capabilities and personalized voice mail
- Iron and ironing board
- Make-up mirror
- Thick terry bathrobes
- Clock radio
- iPod docking station
Guest services include: 24-hour in-room dining, 24-hour laundry/dry-cleaning/pressing, 24-hour multilingual concierge, complimentary overnight shoeshine and gift shop.
The resort also provides 24-hour business services including audiovisual equipment, business equipment, cellular telephones, computers, secretarial service, translation and interpretation service, wired or wireless Internet access in meeting rooms.
Frequent shuttles are offered to the Four Seasons Resort Lana'i, The Lodge at Koele. Guests are allowed (and encouraged) to use of all of the facilities at both properties.
The Spa offers an extensive menu of rejuvenating and restorative treatments available to guests 12 years of age or older.
The Spa's 11 treatment rooms include red cedar dry heat saunas, eucalyptus steam rooms and rainforest showers. An extensive menu of facials, manicures and pedicures adds to the experience. The Spa's signature treatments include:
- Ki Pola Ho'olu (cooling ti-leaf wrap)
- Lava Shell Masage
- Pohaku Lani Facial
- Lomilomi Massage
- Custom Demi-Blending Perfume Experience
- The "Spa After-Hours" Experience
Special features of the Spa include a eucalyptus steam room, outdoor spa hales, and a red cedar dry sauna.
The resort's fitness center features a new Movement Studio and state-of-the-art gym. Each piece of the complete range of cardiovascular equipment is positioned to offer spectacular views of the Pacific Ocean and is equipped with a 15-inch LCD television with personal headset. Personalized health and fitness consultation and instruction are also available on request.
The 800-square foot Movement Studio is furnished with custom wood flooring specially engineered for optimal stability and shock absorption.
Sample fitness activities include:
- Tai chi
- Strength-training classes
- Spinning classes
- Water aerobics
- Fitness walks
The Manele Bay swimming pool offers two heated whirlpools and magnificent ocean views. Guests are treated to Evian spritzes. chilled towels, sunglass cleaning and poolside drink service.
Just steps from the resort Hulopo'e Bay is a protected marine reserve teeming with underwater life including spinner dolphins and colorful reef fish. Beach services include complimentary use of snorkeling equipment, lounge chairs and towels.
The resort's tennis facilities, managed by Peter Burwash International, include three new outdoor Premier Cushion hard courts.
The island's two resort golf courses, The Challenge at Manele and The Experience of Koele are two of Hawaii's top rated and most challenging courses.
Additional island activities include the Lana'i Pine Sporting Clays & Archery Range, horseback riding at The Stables at Koele, snorkeling, S.C.U.B.A. and SNUBA, surfing, croquet & lawn bowling, deep sea fishing, hiking, 4x4 off-roading and helicopter tours.
Executive Chef Fabrice Huet and Pastry Chef Roberto Hernandez provide an array of dining options, offering dishes from the classic to the daring, always using the freshest quality local and imported ingredients. Equally as important, the wine program at Four Seasons Resort Lanai at Manele Bay offers over 250 labels, with a heavy emphasis on wines from Italy (Piedmonte, Tuscany, and the Tre-Venezie regions), California and France.
The Resort has two on-site restaurants:
- Named after Hulopo'e Bay, the immaculate white-sand beach gracing Lana'i's shoreline, Hulopo'e Court is Four Seasons Resort Lana'i at Manele Bay's main dining room. Views from this restaurant are legendary; it overlooks the sparkling waters of its namesake bay. Hulopo'e Court specializes in contemporary Italian cuisine and uses the freshest seafood and island fruits and vegetables. For those seeking an exclusive dining experience, Hulopo'e Court offers The Chef's Table. Guests will enjoy a customized five-course menu, interaction with our chefs and private ambiance.
- During the day, the 140-seat Ocean Grill is a casual lunch venue set adjacent to the Resort's pool. Afternoon and early evening drinks are available at the 12-seat Pool Bar. For dinner, the Ocean Grill offers fresh local seafood prepared with Hawaiian influences.
- The Challenge at Manele Clubhouse, located at The Challenge at Manele golf course serves lunch daily and specializes in casual, light fare with the distinctive flavors of Lana'i.
- The Resort's open-air sports bar, the Hale Ahe Ahe Lounge, with dramatic views of the ocean, offers a lively social atmosphere where guests can enjoy pool and other table games or relax with their favorite sports program, broadcast on the Lounge's 46-inch LCD television. Nightly live music is offered.
Be sure to view our entire gallery of 60 photos taken at the Four Seasons Resort Lanai at Manele Bay.