- 4-5 lbs chicken pieces
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons sherry
- 1 piece ginger root, crushed
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
Combine ketchup, soy sauce, brown sugar, sherry, ginger root, and garlic. Stir well.
Place chicken, skin side up, on the rack of broiler pan about 6 inches from the heat or preferably on an outdoor grill.
Baste the chicken frequently and continue broiling or grilling for about 10 minutes on each side or until chicken appears done.
Courtesy of Local Kine Recipes. University of Hawaii.
- 3 broken fryers, split or quartered
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup shoyu (Japanese soy sauce)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup frozen pineapple juice concentrate.
- pinch of fresh or dried ginger.
- drop or two of Worcestershire sauce.
Mix ingredients in bowl, brush over chicken pieces. Grill over barbecue, turning and basting with sauce until it is done (about 40 minutes).
Note: Huli-Huli sauce can also be purchased pre-made in bottled form and many supermarkets.