Marquesas Islands Articles and Links
The most northerly archepelago of French Polynesia, the Marquesas Islands were named for the Marquesa de Mendoza in 1595 by Spanish explorer, Álvaro de Mendaña de Neira. The islands were annexed by the French in 1842 and now form an administrative division of French Polynesia, with headquarters at Hakapehi (Tai-o-hae) on Nuku Hiva. The Marquesas, also known as the Islands of Hiva, were some of the first islands settled in this region. Many believe that the first settlers of Hawaii originated in the Marquesas. Chief products are copra, taros, breadfruit, coffee, and vanilla.