It's a city of dreams, hopes and bustling activity. Honolulu has grown leaps and bounds over the years, and today even more skyscrapers are filling the beautiful tropical island of Oahu, Hawaii. Nevertheless, the city itself is impeccable and an international shopping mecca for locals and tourists alike.
Oahu is a special place and quite the destination for travelers seeking the calm respite of turquoise seas and cobalt skies. The people are friendly and its natural breathtaking beauty and unique culture is what draws people to its shores.
There is always something fun to do in Oahu, from extreme sports to simply lounging around in a cabana by the pool at a fancy resort.
Here are 15 "Must Do" Activities to give you a memorable vacation:
- Almost every weekend families are invited to Waikiki Sunset on the Beach in Honolulu. It's a free event for the entire family, spotlighting documentary films and feature movies, all showcased on a 30-foot screen. Bring your own lawn chairs and beach blankets and enjoy the show.
- On the North Shore, at Turtle Bay Resort, it's the Legends of the North Shore Luau, every Friday night. There's an exciting dinner show with special entrees for the kids. You can enjoy tropical drinks at the outdoor. Surfside Hang Ten bar as well as late night entertainment and dancing at the Bay Club. There's even live Hawaiian entertainment in the lobby daily from 4:30 p.m.- 6:30 p.m.
- The Sheraton Waikiki is the place to be for the best of live Hawaiian music. You will enjoy the mystical sounds of old Hawaii daily from 6:00 p.m.- 8:30 p.m. at the poolside Sandbar. There is also live entertainment by Stardust beginning at 8:30 p.m. in the Hanohano Room.
- North Shore Shark Cage Tours are definitely for the adventurous. You only need a mask and snorkel that is included in this tour, as they immerse you into thrilling shark infested waters. There is no diving experience needed and it is without age restriction. This tour is guaranteed to change your feelings about sharks.
- The Dole Plantation is a haven for Pineapple lovers. The grounds are immense and well manicured, featuring the world's largest maze. There's also Pineapple ice cream, taffy, jam and clothing and other merchandise for the whole family.
- Hilo Hattie is the store of Hawaii since 1963. Here you'll find anything and everything Hawaiian. You can take a free shuttle bus from various hotels in Honolulu and once you're there, you are greeted with a shell lei and fresh passion fruit juice.
- Sportsfishing is a must if you have never had the experience. There are a variety of charters that will take you out for about 4 ½ hours on the deep blue ocean as you wrestle with Marlin, Mahi Mahi, Ono and Ahi. There's nothing quite like catching your own dinner. Many of the charter boats will allow you to clean, gut and cook your own catch right on the boat!
- Helicopter tours are a wonderful way to see the "Gathering Place" that you normally cannot see by car. You'll be entranced by majestic waterfalls, breathtaking vistas, and razor-sharp ridges - the hidden Oahu few experience. Check with your hotel concierge for the best value and availability.
- You must play in the water if you want to truly enjoy Hawaii. The best cruise on the island is the Kai 'Oli'Oli. The $1.5 million catamaran takes you out to see dolphins and flying fish in their native habitat, and they stop and allow you to snorkel in an underwater marine preserve. The surrounding areas you will see starboard include the homes of the CEO for Harley Davidson as well as actress Cameron Diaz. A delicious lunch is also included. It is only 20 minutes from Honolulu and a wonderful way to spend part of your vacation.
- Cirque Hawaii features award winning artists from around the world that display an exotic blend of strength, balance, humor, skill and beauty. The circus performers are experienced and graceful as they accompany you on your journey into a magical world.