Poisson cru (ia ota in Tahitian), the national dish of Tahiti consisting of raw fish and diced vegetables soaked in coconut milk and marinated with lime juice, can be found in most restaurants. It is one of the Top Things to Do in Tahiti and you will savor it during your visit and crave it when you head home. Luckily, you can easily make it yourself.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 4 Servings
- 1.75 pounds of fresh sushi-grade tuna
- ½ a cucumber (3.5 ounces)
- 1 tomato (1.75 ounces)
- 1 green pepper
- 1 large onion (2.8 ounces)
- Juice from 8 limes
- 1 glass of coconut milk
- Salt and pepper
- Dice the fish into ½-inch cubes, rinse with fresh water, drain and place in a large salad bowl.
- Squeeze the limes and pour the juice over the fish, mix well and chill 20 minutes in refrigerator.
- Cut onion and green pepper into thin slices, cut tomato into small cubes, remove seeds from cucumber and cut into thin half moons.
- Drain some of the lime juice, add the vegetables and season with salt and pepper.
- Five minutes before serving, add the coconut milk.
- Present on a bed of lettuce, on individual plates or, even better, in a coconut shell! Serve chilled.